Monday, March 23, 2009

St. Lucia March 18, 2009


Next up, St. Lucia. This is such a beautiful island! (kicked Barbados' trash, and we thought Barbados was great) So the plan for St. Lucia was to walk to Vigie Beach, and do a little shopping. We were trying to stay out of the sun because we got fried in Barbados.

Our ship port was in the town of Castries. What a beautiful place!
We went to "market" to get our token necklace and tee-shirt. That was an experience in and of it's self! Everyone approaching you to see if you will buy their goods. One guy came up to me and told me that if I would buy his necklace and wear it, none of the other vendors would bother me...I guess that makes sense. It was such a funny marketing strategy, nothing to do with whether his product is good quality, cute or well priced, just that it would make the others quit bothering me. Yep, I bought that ugly necklace.
This is Vigie Beach, is this amazing or what?!


When we approached this beach, a weird guy named "Jimmy" told me he had made this grasshopper for me....and if I wanted to give him something that would be okay. My new pet grasshopper we named "Jimmy". We carried Jimmy for the rest of the day.

This cemetery is right on the beach.

While enjoying the beach, and checking out the map, it appeared that there was a lighthouse within a couple miles...so we now had a new destination, the Vigie Lighthouse. From the beach, we climbed up a embankment, and ended up in a soccer field. We thought we knew about where we were, so we kept walking. Without knowing it, we had passed the road that leads up to the lighthouse. We were walking through a really rich neighborhood, and a women came out on her balcony and we asked her where the lighthouse was. She gave us a really funny look, and told us we had to go a long way to get to it, and she pointed us in the right direction.
After another mile or so, we saw signs for the lighthouse. Finally we found it! What an accomplishment. We were looking out at the beautiful sights, and Dean was supposed to be taking care of Jimmy. Apparently Jimmy jumped out of Dean's hand...(or was he pushed?!) I was able to find him, and that is why we have those pictures from below the lighthouse, I was rescuing Jimmy!

We logged 8 miles on this island.

3 comments:

The DiStefano Family said...

How fun! I am so jealous! You are always doing something fun! Those pictures are beautiful. It looks like you had a wonderful time!

Min and Mary said...

wearing out the deaners!? I'm shocked! Keep the pix coming. I'm in India right now and there's nothing close to serene and beautiful around my hotel. Still, I wish I had YOUR camera...

Manda said...

You ARE a classy mama. ha ha