Friday, August 4, 2017

Alaska, day 8 (day 1 in Skagway) 8/4/2017


This day started at about 2:30 a.m.  I noticed the Northern Lights were visible,so went and woke up my mom so she could see them.  My phone doesn't take great pictures of them, but you get the idea.


 Caitlyn and I caught a plane at 9 a.m. to go to Skagway for the weekend.  The plane was really small.  The pilot gave us great views of the scenery between Juneau and Skagway.  Loved this flight!!!

 There were 5 people on this flight, and that was including the pilot.  I was with the cargo.


 This is the Mendenhall glacier, lake, and valley.









 Now that was fun!


The White House 
This was where we stayed the first night in Skagway.

 We unloaded our bags at the White House, and now it's time to explore.





 Serious little girls selling lemonade.  She never smiled.  The lemonade was great!

 Awkward moment, when strange man took my picture just because I was posing in front of him...I guess you had to be there.


 We rented scooters and drove to Dyea.  That was fun!




 That's salmon in the river below us!  So many salmon!!!






 This big red thing is a snow plow for the railroad tracts.  I thought I was especially funny with this pose of my arm "chopped off".  Ok, maybe it wasn't that funny.

 Caitlyn is pointing to a painted side of the mountain, its advertising for a company.  Apparently in the old days that was pretty common.








No comments: