Thursday, August 6, 2015

Good Bye Harry

My dear friend Harry died on Thursday, August 6, 2015.

Harry and I became friends in 1977, when Dianna and I were able to travel to Australia...that is where I met Harry.  Harry is 50+ years older than me.  
We became instant friends, and remained friends to the day he died....and hopefully longer!
For the next 38 years, Harry and I remained "pen-pals".  I loved getting his letters.  They were always hand written, and always so kind.  I had my first baby on Harry's birthday, how is that for friendship?!

In 2013, I was able to travel back to Australia with Dean and Caitlyn. 

Harry and his friend Bill met us at the Sydney airport.

We stayed a few days with Harry in Wollongong.  
He was still living in the same house as he was when I first met him.

He would be turning 100 just 10 months after we stayed with him.  He lived by himself, and he took such great care of us while we stayed with him.    
One evening, we had spent the day in Sydney, and had arrived home really late at night, well after Harry had gone to bed. 
 We came home to a table set with fine china,


Dinner made, and notes for us about what it was, and how to reheat it.

 ..and treats on each of our plates.

Another one of my favorite memories of our trip, is Harry happened to have 3 scooters/jazzie chairs when we got there.  He gave Caitlyn and I a tour of  Wollongong on those scooters I will never forget.  First of all, Harry drives fast!  That meant Caitlyn and I had to drive fast to keep up with him,  (we would never be able to find our way home without him)  










I loved that Caitlyn and Dean got to meet my long time friend Harry.


Of course, the 100 year old man would take care of my bags for me!  Harry was such a gentleman.
 This is saying goodbye to our friend Harry at the train station in Wollongong, NSW, Australia. 
 And now it's time to say goodbye to Harry once again.  
Till we meet again

4 comments:

Caitlyn said...

Beautiful. He is a great mam, the world will miss his spirit.

Caitlyn said...

Beautiful. He is a great mam, the world will miss his spirit.

mommaquincy said...

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Summer said...

What a sweet tribute. That jazzie tour can not be beat.