Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 2 in Juneau


Day 2 started with a run through downtown Juneau, and out to a waterfall.  It's so awesome running at sea level!  On  the way back to our hotel, Dean rented a car, $85 a day, outrageous! 
We headed over to pick up Caitlyn and Amanda.  Both had the day off. First item of business was getting my Xtratufs!  Caitlyn took us to the hardware store, showed me the kind I wanted, and the insoles I needed, and she got them all fixed up for me.  I was so excited, couldn't wait to try them out!
  
 Another thing we had to try while in Juneau were these donuts.  Can't even describe them, except melt in your mouth delish!

 We headed out to Douglas Island.  What a beautiful place!

This is the view from Douglas island looking back to the mainland.
 On our run that morning, we ran to that waterfall and back to our hotel.
 Caitlyn knows all the unique places to eat.  The Island Pub was where we had lunch.  Check out that view (rather than checking out the weird look on Caitlyn's face).

 After lunch we hiked to the Treadwell Mine ruins.




 I got to try out my xtra-tufs!   So cool!
I don't need no bridge, I've got xtra-tufs!  Let's go find me some mud!




 Oh yeah!

Next up, is a tram ride up Mt. Roberts. This place is so beautiful.

The  Gastineau Channel
 Let me know if there are problems viewing this video, I haven't tried this before, so I need to know whether to bother with it or not, thanks.
 This eagle was hurt, and I don't believe is expected to be able to fly again.  There are so many bald eagles up there it's amazing.
 We hiked up to Father Brown's cross

Next up, the bus rodeo! 
 There was a slalom course, a parallel parking course, and an activity where they try to figure out what's wrong with a bus.  The bus drivers were divided into 3 teams.  Kind of a funny competition, but you could tell these guys had skills!
 This is Caitlyn's team running the slalom course after they had finished driving it.  These guys were having way too much fun!

 Caitlyn participated in the parallel parking part of the competition


Guess how she did?!  She is awesome!

 After a while we got bored at the rodeo, so we went to "the wharf" and had ice cream and watched the float planes land.  That was so cool!  I could have stayed there all night watching all that goes on in the channel.  




 Some of Caitlyn's friends called and said they were all going down to Eagle Beach to watch the sunset.  Sounded great to us.  So we drove for about a half an hour.  By this time it's around 9:30, 10 :00.  I'm getting nervous, because nobody is in any hurry to get down to the beach to watch the sunset.....I now know why....this is the sunset that never ends!  We walked for a while, played around on the beach, and then walked back to the cars.  The sun never really did go down!  So crazy.  It's like dusk forever.  The sun does go out of sight, but the sky was never really that dark. 

 Sweet!

In case you can't tell, Ryan isn't that camera-shy!




3 comments:

mommaquincy said...

The video was awesome! It really helped to see how huge it was and all of the incredible view! Tell us more about Ryan!

Unknown said...

Alaska looks incredible. Scenery at every turn.

Summer said...

Oops, it's me again. Summer. Obviously, we have multiple computer users around here these days.