Thursday, January 20, 2011

Southern Utah Escape

Dean and I had a couple days free this week, so we decided to head south, and try to find some warmth. We left Monday morning right after I had a root canal done, and didn't have to be back until Wednesday evening, when I had volleyball games.
We went to dinner with Dean's sister Connie, and my niece Riley. So fun. Of course, I didn't take any pictures, nor did I take any pictures when we went over to meet Bethany's baby Jane. Kind of kicking my self right now for not getting photos! I did get better as the trip went on.
Tuesday morning we wanted to go for a hike in Zion, but Connie let us know that it was really muddy, so we would be better off going on one of the many hikes in the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve.



We had this trusty map. In our first attempt to hike to an arch we ended up at a cliff, and the trail ended there! Back to where we started, and we tried again.





We found the arch! This was a great hike! After looking at the map, we decided rather than just hike back to the car, we could continue on down to the river, cross it twice, and do a loop around back to the car. Sounded great!




What the map failed to mention, was that there were no bridges to cross the river! Yes, it's in the middle of January, and we are wading through the Virgin river...twice!
(The thought of mud in Zion was sounding pretty good right at this point)


There was this amazing beach along the river. When the temperature is about 30 degrees warmer, I want to go back to this beach!






Next stop...Kanab, to visit the Jensons.


After the kids got their homework done, it was time to play "Just Dance 2"




I had to include this photo, because Jacob was fed up with the way Dean was driving in Mario Cart, he finally had to come over and do it himself! Jacob takes this game rather seriously!

5 comments:

Summer said...

Looks like fun. Did Connie get remarried to a Riley? Next time you get a long weekend, come to Cali!

Manda said...

You guys are wild. Pretty mad that you will play Just Dance with everybody but me!

Erika Ellis said...

Thanks Summer, I hope I made that a little more clear. Amanda, bring it on, we are ready now!

mommaquincy said...

I love Just Dance 2. Way better couple dances. Not that I've convinced Richard to try it yet, but, I'm ready when I get him convinced!

mammasweet said...

We loved seeing you. Jane Elisabeth, herself, is worth the trip.