Thursday, February 24, 2022

I now wear a hat. 2-24-2022

For a few weeks, I had had this growth on my neck.  It was very painful, and I really needed Dean to cut it out.  He wouldn't, and kept telling me to go see a doctor about it.  My answer to that was to just ignore it.
We had just arrived home from Hawaii, and it was getting bigger, and starting to really bother me.  On Friday,  February 18, I googled it, and based on pictures on the internet, it was Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  We were able to get an appointment with our Dermatologist, Dr Hinckley (he's a good one!) for Thursday,  Feb 24.  He took one look at it and said "you got yourself a squamous cell carcinoma."  He was sure enough of it that he scheduled the MOHS surgery for the next Tuesday.

MOHS surgery is where they cut it out, biopsy it while you wait with the incision open, incase they need to remove more.   They continue this pattern until all margins are clear of cancer. When my biopsy came back, it confirmed it was cancer, and Dr Hinckley was able to get it all with the first try.  It hadn't spread to any of the nearby lymph nodes.

I got my stitches out on Monday, March 1.  Everything is healing up great.
....and now I will wear a hat when I go out in the sun.
Maybe you should too.



 

No comments: