Saturday, September 17, 2011

Top of Utah Marathon

Time for another marathon!
This one was called Top of Utah. It starts up at Hardware Ranch. We got to run though the communities of Millville, Hyrum, Providence, Nibley, River Heights, and ended in the city of Logan.
Dean's cousin Danny, and his wife Annette, were kind enough to let us spend the night with them. By staying with them, it saved us 2 hours of driving in the morning, which meant we got to sleep in till 4:15 a.m.! We stayed up and visited with them Friday night. So fun to catch up!

We caught the bus at 5:15 a.m. Just a little cold as you can see by the picture!
First thing after you get off the bus is to go get in the port-a-potty lines. Doesn't matter if you don't need to go, by the time you get to the front of the line, you need to go!
Caught Julie with her pants down. She wrapped an injured knee....yes, this is before the race even starts, ouch!
In between this photo of the port-a potties, and the next picture, which is at the finish line, were so many amazing sites, but I couldn't figure out how to use Dean's camera on his phone, so I'll give you a little description of the next several hours....
5 minutes before the starting gun went off, we strip down to just our running clothes and stow our warm clothes in the bus.. All of a sudden there is this amazing down pour!!! We are totally drenched! The gun goes off. We are running in such a beautiful canyon! The clouds we snuggled down on the mountain tops. It was awesome! A little chilly, but we all know we are going to warm up soon. Then it starts to hail! The hail stings my already frozen hands. Shoes are totally soaked. My shirt is clinging to my body, it's so wet. Next up lighting. The thunder was at almost the same time as the lightning. A little scary, but made it so this run was anything but boring!
Most of the run was done in rain. On the plus side, I wasn't ever hot.

Yay for the finish line cheerleaders!

It feels so good to finally stop running! Everyone had a great race. (Great isn't always defined by the time in which you finish the race, right?) Julie, Dean, and Braden all had great finish times, and Erika finished!
Ej coming to the finish line. One of my best friends, Betsy, and her husband and daughter were volunteering at the finish line. First thing when I crossed the finish line I got a hug from Betsy! No picture of them, but one of the best parts of the race.


It's our tradition to go to Cafe Rio after a long race. None of us really feels like eating, but it's tradition!

We love that Greg has a hot tub! He let's us soak our tired muscles after most races! Thanks Greggy!
Another tradition, taking a picture in our race shirts with our finishers medals. We didn't have time to go home and shower, so Julie and I had "picture retakes".


My parents were kind enough to have us over for a fish BBQ!
(These are the fish Dad and I caught on friday's fishing trip.)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you all yesterday! I finally met Julie after reading about her and seeing lots of pictures. She is amazing and fast! I even gave her a hug because she looked so cold! Way to go you guys-whats next?

mommaquincy said...

That sounds like too much excitement! How was the fish?

Ambs said...

Wow. You just never stop! I can't imagine running in hail!!?? Looks like Braden must have finished SUPER fast to be able to be a cheerleader and a runner! hehe

Missy said...

I wondered about that marathon. I was up there for Time Out for Women and the weather was the pits. I tried to imagine running a marathon (first of all, I wouldn't ever be running that race) in the rain and hail. Certainly does not seem very fun, but like you said I'm sure you had some beautiful scenery. Congrats on finishing.

Cory Reese said...

I love the pictures! And that tradition of taking a picture with the race shirt and medal.

Way to go on another great race!