Monday, January 28, 2013

Just so you know....


 Dex loves his babies!


The babies have started smiling. Elinor was willing to let me take a picture of her cute smile.
Never got Miles to smile when I had the camera.


Babies are doing great.  With that said, they have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and the Dr. will be able to confirm that this tumor on Elinor's head is a hemangioma.  It started to appear about 3 weeks after she was born.

"Hemangiomas are the most common childhood tumor, occurring in approximately ten percent of Caucasians, and are less prevalent in other ethnicities. Females are three to five times as likely to have hemangiomas as males. Hemangiomas are also more common in twin pregnancies. Approximately 80% are located on the face and neck, with the next most prevalent location being the liver."

Another website,(yes, I have done tons of reading on the subject) says more common in preemies. Poor Elinor, caucasian, female, twin, and preemie!  If that is what it is, the tumor is benign, and should be gone by the time she is 10 years old.  If we find out differently tomorrow at the Dr's I'll be sure to update this blog. 

On another note, it appears that Amanda has rheumatoid arthritis.  She had blood work done last week, and the "whatevers" that they measure are really high.  She went in for x-rays today.  We don't know what treatment she will be having, so far they have had her on steroids and pain killers, and that has helped a little, but not a long term solution.  We should be getting more information on her care soon.  (because having newborn twins and a 2 year old wasn't enough, let's add pain and stiffness to the mix!)



8 comments:

Aileen & Ernie said...

Don't do things by half in your family do you? Sure hope the pain situation is controllable. Praying for good results all round.

bethany said...

I love these babies. I guess that for never actually meeting them in person it's weird that I'm their favorite aunt/person/inspiration

Anonymous said...

Poor Amanda! I sure hope they can do something for her and Elinor. I'm sending new grandma vibes your way!

mommaquincy said...

The tumor sounds like what Sydney had on the back of her head. She has so much hair that most people never saw it. It is going away. The arthritis is terrible! Good thing she has such awesome grandparents to help with the kids!

Nicole said...

Yep, that hemangioma sounds just like Sydney's, but hers is/was about the size of a quarter. You can still see the edges of it, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. I don't think she even knows it's there. Hope Amanda gets some relief. That must be so hard!

Summer said...

Definitely looks like a hemangioma to me. Poor Amanda RA is not a fun diagnosis. My SIL struggles with it too. I know she does a few natural Tx's for hers. I'll have to find out what she does and if it seems to help. Glad she has you guys around to help out.

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

my niece has one on her cheek about the size of a nickel. It seems to be shrinking already - she is turning 4. i dont think they are typically any cause for concern. i know a few little ladies with them. just tell Dex not to eat her strawberry! ;-)

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

RA?! I just missed that before entering my first comment. So sorry Amanda!! Such a bummer. Hope she is feeling well enough. Keep us posted please!!