Friday, October 11, 2013

2013 St. George Marathon

Dean has had this paper up on our fridge for about the last 9 months.  He saw his goal marathon time every time he went into the kitchen, and so did everyone one else.  That was the time he had to get to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  When we got home from running the St. George Marathon, he crossed off his old goal, and in blue pencil wrote the time he actually achieved.

October 5, 2013
What an amazing day for a race!
The conditions were perfect for running a marathon.

 I kept my phone with me so I could track Dean during the run.  There are timing mats along the way so you can track runners and see how they are doing during the race.  Since I had my phone, I decided to snap a few pictures of the race course.  It is absolutely beautiful!  We had a slight tail wind to help us up the hills.  Really, it was a perfect day for a marathon.

 Braden was giving me updates along the way.  At one point, he told me that if Dean kept up his pace, he would finish in 3:36.  Way too fast.  There is always the risk if you run too fast you will burn out at the end.  Around mile 18 I got the phone call from Braden that Dean had finished, and his time was 3:35:49!!!  He beat his goal by over 4 minutes!!!  I was so excited for Dean!  It made me want to run faster to get to the finish to be with him....then my legs reminded me that I am still an old slow lady, and I don't run fast, even when I want to.   

 The finish line.  Such a great race for both of us.

I have these black toenails as souvenirs from the marathon.  Thank you St. George Marathon, I didn't want those toenails anyway! 
Ok, we also have these cool souvenirs from the race too!
Watch out Boston, here comes Deaner!

 (the Boston Marathon is run in April of each year.  Boston sold out for April 2014 before the St. George Marathon was even held, so they let those qualifying at the St. George Marathon to sign up for the following years race, so we are looking at Dean running in the April 2015 Boston Marathon)

4 comments:

Mary said...

Cool! And I'm impressed by your toenails--what a martyr! Janalee's brother Beau will be living in Boston beginning this year--you should stay with them!

mommaquincy said...

How cool! You guys are both amazing!

Unknown said...

I still say it was the lasagna the night before. Haha

Adam said...

Nice work, guys. Congratulations on qualifying for Boston, Deaner.